Like all residential replacement windows, fiberglass windows will have both their pros and cons. Taking the time to review both these good and bad features can help you to make an informed decision regarding whether or not fiberglass windows are right for you and your home.
There are many benefits that come along with choosing fiberglass replacement windows for your home. These benefits include:
- Mimics Appearance Of Solid Wood - Fiberglass offers the unique ability to closely mimic the appearance of solid wood. Through the use of a textured finish, these windows are able to fool many people into believing they are constructed from real wood even upon close inspection. Consequently, fiberglass windows provide a viable option for people who like the look of wood, but are a bit hesitant about taking on the maintenance requirements and cost that comes along with buying real wood windows.
- Low Maintenance - Fiberglass windows do not require any special maintenance in order to keep them looking and functioning great for many years to come. Instead, simply wash the windows whenever they are dirty and you will be good to go.
- Energy Efficient - Fiberglass is often used as insulation due to its high R-value. Consequently, it should come as no surprise that the use of this material in constructing residential windows has led to an extremely energy efficient option for homeowners who are looking to replace their current windows.
There are also some disadvantages associated with the use of fiberglass windows. These disadvantages include:
- Fading Color - Prolonged exposure to direct sunlight can cause the color of your fiberglass windows to fade over time. Since these windows do not absorb paint well, the only option for restoring the original color of your windows is to replace them once they have become badly faded.
- Cost - While fiberglass windows have become less expensive over the years, these windows are still considered high end and will therefore come with a significantly higher price tag than some of the more economical choices the market has to offer. This can prove problematic for homeowners with limited finances.
The Bottom Line
While fiberglass replacement windows will offer the ideal solution for some homeowners, these windows will not be right for everyone. For instance, homeowners who are on a tight budget may find the high end cost of these windows to be prohibitive. However, homeowners who are willing to spend a bit more to get high quality windows will often find that this higher cost is well worth the benefits it provides. In order to learn more about fiberglass windows and whether or not they are right for your home, be sure to contact a reputable contractor such as Beyers Window & Door Inc to schedule a consultation.